Hey, everyone. It’s a new year. The holidays are over and it’s time to set some new goals. But all
too often, despite our best intentions, we set ourselves up for failure without realizing it. You’ve
seen those people who show up to the gym on New Year’s Day and aren’t anywhere to be found
by Valentine’s Day. Here are some tips make sure this is a year of progress and achievement for
1. Make your goals SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, and REALISTIC. Saying you want to
eat healthier or want to lose weight isn’t useful because it’s not specific and it’s not
measurable. It’s better to say, ‘I want to lose ten pounds this month.’ or ‘I’m not going to
eat meat on the weekends.’ Similarly, you don’t want to say you’re going to run a
marathon this year if you’ve never even run a 5K. Keeping your goals realistic is the best
way to avoid failure.
2. Monitor your progress occasionally. Checking your weight every day can cause a lot of
frustration. One day you’re down a pound. The next day you’re up two. The day after that
you’re down two. It can drive you crazy. We recommend checking every two to four
weeks. A bi-weekly or monthly check in on how your goals are going will alleviate a lot
of needless aggravation.
3. It’s a new year. Not a new decade. Decide next year’s goals next year. If the past few
years have taught us anything, it’s that we don’t know what the future holds. Your needs
and desires may be totally different by this time next year. So keep your goals in 2022
and solve 2023’s problems next year.
4. Make your goals public. Tell people on social media. Tell a friend. Better yet, make
goals with someone and you can keep each other on track. Another benefit is that your
good friends will help you with your goals by not tempting you to stray from your path.
5. Create an inspiration board. My girlfriend swears by this technique. She has a cork
board full of her goals for the year, inspirational quotes, Post-It reminders and even a
couple of photos she printed up to inspire her to achieve her goals for the year.
6. Invest in your goal. Like the inspiration board, having a new pair of shoes, leggings, or a
Gymwrap are great reminders that you’re making concrete steps to achieving your goals
for the year. Here are some of our favorites to help you reach your goals.
It’s 2022. We’ve got a whole new year of possibilities ahead of us. Let’s make it a good one!